As promised here’s a quick look through at the lighting and post production for this recent picture ‘Couple in Love’…
Ok so for the lighting I kept things real simple and went for my favourite cross lighting set up.
This time I used the Elinchrom Rotalux 175cm Octa and Elinchrom ELC 1000 head. James and Claire were sat on the sofa and behind and underneath was a roll of grey seamless paper.
Opposite the Octa on the other side of the frame I placed a white foam core board to bounce a little of the light back onto James and Claire; without it I felt the shadows were going a little too dark especially with them both wearing dark clothing. The foam core board reflector added back in just the right amount of light into the shadows that I was after.
The Octa was positioned to the front and slightly above James and Claire but angled so that the soft feathered edge lit the both which you can see from the BTS photograph below…
Below I’ve attached a few screen grabs so you can see the retouching steps starting off with the RAW out of camera image top left and working across.
- Starting out in Lightroom, the white balance was corrected, sharpening applied and an adjustment brush used to darken down the grey seamless so as to make the addition of the texture and flooring look better and not so washed out and low contrast.
- Back wall texture added and masked off James and Claire
- Wooden flooring added
- Fake shadow added to back wall
- Contrast added and light shaped using gradients, radial filter etc…
- Colour Grading and Finishing Touches
I’ll be recording a tutorial showing this complete retouching process in the very near future. I’ll keep you posted when but at the moment I’m deep into writing chapters for my new book.
As always if you have any questions/comments please feel free to make use of the comments section below but in the mean time, have a great Thursday and I’ll catch you back here next time.
•CLICK HERE to check out the LARGE version of this image over on my 500px portfolio page